Sunday, March 18, 2012

Crack Cake


I had grand plans to make it through the weekend without falling off the wagon....It was a lofty goal. A goal which unfortunately I did not reach. I could make lots of excuses...but mostly it comes down to one thing..... junk food (meaning high calorie delicious goodness) it's my crack. Once i give in to it's heavily temptation I'm done for. This doesn't last forever just a good month or so. I seem to have to get it out of my system, once I do then I can have a doughnut or a plate of french fries and go right back to eating healthy. I really need to make it through a weekend.


I lost almost 3 lbs this week! Good for me, right? Well, it was until I gained it all back in 2 days. 2 days of glutenous fun. A Dunford doughnut, some bread pudding, yummy Thai food, and a fancy dinner with Paul at a new restaurant.


Now it's Sunday night and I'm jumping back on the wagon. I actually have a good chance to make it through this next weekend. Paul is out of town this week ( he is defiantly an enabler) until Saturday night.


I did find another tasty recipe. It wasn't as great as the last one, but it was only 339 calories for a good sized portion. It was also pretty easy and you can freeze it.



Baked Penne With Meat Sauce



8 ounces dried penne
1 14-ounce can whole italian-style tomatoes
1/2 of a 6 ounce can italian style tomato paste
1/4 cup dry red wine or tomato juice
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup sliced pitted olives
1/4 cup green pepper
3 cloves of minced garlic
2 Tbs fresh basil
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese (in all honesty I added a little more)
Salt as needed (i felt like it needed quite a bit)



Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.


Meanwhile, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine or tomato juice, sugar, dried oregano, and pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Set aside.


In a large skillet cook ground beef or turkey and onion, green pepper, and garlic until meat is brown. Drain off fat, stir in tomato mixture, bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 min. Stir in pasta, fresh basil and olives.


Spoon pasta mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish, Bake covered, in a 375 degree oven for 30 min. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered about 5 min more or until cheese is melted. Makes 6 servings.


Nutrition Facts per Serving: 339 cal., 11 g total fat, 59 mg chol., 349 mg sodium, 33 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 24 g pro.

2 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Donuts aren't my crack, but oh, so many other things are...i think we need to commiserate about our weekend! And phil dunfey!!!

Amy Densley said...

We both posted about doughnuts this week, there must be calories in the air (actually the calories are on my thighs)!